Years ago I bought a little nativity advent calendar. It wasn't very well made and after looking at it I thought, "I could make something better." But I was very busy with other responsibilities and the thought of taking time to do that when I had a perfectly good one in my hands seemed silly.
Several years later I found myself still wanting to re-do what I had. I started out thinking that I would invent my own patterns but on second thought decided I would peruse Pinterest and see if I could find something I liked. And I did! I stumbled upon this nativity and then found that someone else had made up some patterns from it. Perfect! It was just what I had in mind! I used heat 'n bond to glue the pieces together. (I love the stitching on the original so I may go back and add that next year!)
My original thought was to continue using the old calendar and just replace the pieces. However, once I started in on the pieces I realized that they would be too big to fit into the old pockets! Now my next task was to make a backdrop and pockets big enough to fit my new adorable pieces! (My husband commented, "If you give Jeanine some felt . . .") After a bit of thought I came up with an idea that worked. I just used a large piece of dark brown felt and used the heat 'n bond to attach the sky and hills. The pockets are just one long strip of felt that I sewed on and divided into compartments. It needed something to make it just a little more sturdy so I added some red Christmas fabric to the back and folded it over the edges to tie it all together. The numbers were cut with my Silhouette.
I love my new advent calendar and excited to use it for years to come! And even more importantly--so are my boys!