Our summers here are hot, sweaty and sticky. Yuck! That's one thing this California raised girl dislikes most about the mid-west -- humidity! I depend heavily on cool treats to help me get through the hot summers. These dark chocolate fudgesicles have become one of my favorites. We make a lot of homemade popsicles and I've found a lot of them turn out icy. The secret ingredient to keeping these popsicles smooth and soft is gelatin! It's amazing the difference a little gelatin can make. Go ahead and give these a try. I just know you'll the the rich chocolaty flavor and the smooth creamy texture.
Dark Chocolate Fudgesicles
(adapted from this recipe)
1 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
2 egg yolk
1/2 cup honey
dash of Real Salt
1 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (I use this kind)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Soften the gelatin by placing it in a small bowl with the vanilla.
2. Warm the coconut milk in a pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stir occasionally and do not let boil. Meanwhile mix the egg yolk, honey, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly poor the hot coconut milk into the egg mixture, mixing continuously to temper the eggs.
3. Pour the mixture back into the pot and continue to cook on medium heat for about five minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
4. Pour the gelatin mixture into the pot and whisk vigorously until the gelatin has dissolved, about two minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Let pudding cool at room temperature about 20 minutes and then pour into molds. Place in freezer for up to six hours or until firm.